- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 week
- Skill level Mid Level
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Plant Sciences was developed to combine knowledge of the basic sciences, general education and agricultural sciences with practical skills in laboratory and farm procedures gained at the college or in the wider agricultural community, through field trips and internships. Students graduating from this programme may; perform most jobs requiring knowledge of the agricultural sciences in general at the lower level (ASc) and in the various areas of plant science and related fields at higher levels. They may choose to become entrepreneurs especially in agribusinesses, research assistants, managers of large crop farms, specialist extension officers; or they may choose to pursue further studies. Some potential areas of study are Greenhouse
Technology, Plant Pathology, Land Surveying, Agricultural Engineering, Environmental Science, Plant Breeding, Ornamental Gardening and Landscaping, Crop Production and Protection and Soil Sciences.
Upon completion of this programme student should to be able to:
- Apply the principles of plant science courses in the design of crop enterprises in various agro-ecological zones
- Formulate management strategies to optimize crop yield and productivity with due regards to the natural and socio-economic environment of the enterprise
- Use ICT along with traditional technology to prepare, analyse and synthesize data for management of the crop farm
- Conduct applied research to solve problems on the crop farm
- Accept the importance of life-long learning to the maintenance of professional standards
- Develop strategy to conserve the biodiversity of an agro-ecosystem
- Apply plant production practices that will foster improve productivity for sustainable development.
- Normal Entry Requirements
The normal entry requirement for the Bachelors in Plant Science programmes within the Faculty are; 5 CSEC or O’Level Subjects including English Language, Mathematics, 2 Science Subjects and one other subject. OR Grade 1 Certificate from Knockalva or Sydney Pagan Agricultural schools, or Ebony Park HEART Academy Levels 1 & 2 Certificates in Farm Maintenance.
- Alternative Entry Requirements
Mature students who do not possess the normal minimum entry requirements may be given considerations on a case-by-case basis for acceptance, via the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) method. The candidate must provide evidence of sustained employment within the field of agriculture with sufficient opportunity to gain experience that can be applied in the area being sought for enrolment.
- Minimum Requirement for Direct Entry to Higher Levels
To be eligible for admission into the upper levels of the four year programmes programme, candidates must meet the matriculation requirement of Associate Degree in Agriculture or Natural Science. Candidates with other relevant qualifications are also considered. Students can apply for advanced standing or course exemptions if they have credits from another recognized institution. Congruence of 80% or above is considered acceptable.
Programme Duration and Credits
- The programme follows the 2 + 2 model, with sixty eight (68) credits in the final 2 years added on to the Associate Degree in General Agriculture.
- However a four degree offering would comprise of (150) credits